Norwich was first opened in 1904 with one building, and 95 patients and quickly grew to over 16 buildings and 2,000 patients. The campus was fully sustainable and included laboratories, power plant, bakery, farm, theater, bowling alley, green house, barber shop, and housing for doctors and other staff. The hospital also had huge underground tunnels connecting all the buildings. The patients wards held the elderly, tuberculosis patients, mentally ill, and criminally insane. During the 1950's Norwich held over 3,000 patients and built a medical research facility, and large residence halls, which meant the older buildings were now used for storage or left abandoned. By the 1970's only seven new buildings were in use because of declining psychiatric patients as well as the old buildings were falling apart and couldn't be used. By 1996 Norwich officially closed and has been abandoned since then and most buildings have been demolished.
Photos and History:
Southbury Training school is a still functional residential facility. Some buildings on the campus are abandoned. It was built in 1930 with 125 buildings and 1,600 acres. On November 19, 2010, United States District Court Judge Ellen Bree Burns signed an Order approving the Settlement Agreement in the 1994 class action Messier v. Southbury Training School (STS). The agreement, negotiated by the parties, which includes The Arc of Connecticut as a plaintiff and the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) as a defendant, was filed with the U.S. District Court on July 12, 2010.As a result of the Order approving the Messier Settlement Agreement, DDS affirms the commitment that professional judgment will be rendered by each interdisciplinary team at STS for each class member, and will include recommendations for the “most integrated setting” appropriate to the individual’s needs. For purposes of the Agreement, the “most integrated setting” is defined as “a setting that enables individuals with disabilities to interact with non-disabled persons to the fullest extent possible.” 28C.F.R. pt. 35 app. A at page 571 (2009); Olmstead, 527 U.S. at 592. Since the Order approving the Messier Settlement Agreement, 26 residents have transitioned to the community and an additional 24 residents or guardians have consented for transition into the community. As of April 2013, 368 individuals reside at STS and attend day programs on and off the campus. STS employs over 1,200 full time, part time and consulting staff. The staff provides supports and services in a broad array of areas including: medical, vocational, residential, and therapeutic and facility support services.
Mansfield was opened in 1917 when two hospitals in the area merged. They opened to 402 patients and by 1932 it skyrocketed 1,070 residents. The hospital was very overcrowded and even had a long waiting list. Mansfield had allegations of poor conditions and abuse, and had many lawsuits about conditions. By 1960's there were 1,6009 patients and 875 staff. By the 1970's and 80's patients started to be transferred to group homes and by 1991 they only had 141 patients. In 1993 Mansfield closed and was purchased by University of Connecticut, though some buildings were left abandoned.
Elmcrest Hospital was opened in 1942 as a small mental hospital, in three historic mansions on 17 acres. The hospital had inpatient and outpatient, wards for children and adults, and a substance abuse program. The hospital also later opened an art therapy building for art, music and dance. By 1997, Elmcrest had grown to 26 buildings, and housing more than 150 patients. 150 special ed children also attended school and a day program, with 475 staff taking care of the patients. The hospital was then sold to Saint Francis Hospital in 1997, and a year later a 11 year old passed away after being restrained by a staff member. Reports of patient abuse grew and a few lawsuits are filed against the hospital for bad treatment of patients. In 2000, another patient passed away from a drug overdose when the patient had been given 12 tranquilizers and other drugs from the hospital, resulting in many staff being fired.In 2003 the hospital moved remaining patients to a Mount Sinai campus, and the hospital closed for good. Then the old hospital campus was purchased by Hartford Hospital who had psychiatric programs for children and teens but closed down in 2006.
Super easy to get on the grounds, and there are more than 25 buildings. Most buildings were boarded up really well but because there is so many buildings I was able to get into a few
The Cedar-crest hospital was opened 1910 to help children suffering from TB. Three buildings were constructed, two treatment facilities, and a medical center. During it’s most popular time, cedar crest was home to 128 patients. After the TB vaccine was introduced the patient number at the hospital dwindled. The buildings were then transformed into a psychiatric hospital, for mental illness and addiction. Cedarcrest closed in 2012, when they tried to sell, there were no buyers and is now abandoned. Some small buildings are used by state agencies and the FBI.
All of the doors are locked, I only found one unlocked door. The inside is pretty boring, and everything is cleaned out.
The hospital was opened in 1868. By 1896 the hospital had grown to one of the largest in the country. The original hospital had 650 acres and about eighty buildings. When it first opened, it was automatically overcrowded, so they started to expand and expand. Most buildings are formed around the main building "Shrew Hall". Shrew Hall was one of the first buildings on site, and was named after the hospitals first superintendent. The site also included the Stanley Hall (maximum security building), Woodward Hall, Weeks Hall, Russell Hall, Beers Hall, Smith Home (employment housing), Shepard Home, and a Police station. The patients lived their days by bells, patients would know when to wake up, meals, exercise and bed times when a loud bell would ring to alert them. By 1890 the patient ratio was 230:1 meaning patients were not getting the adequate care they needed. When new superintendents took charge of the hospital they organized the patients more efficiently, making patients with the same symptoms live together. A treatment the hospital used heavily was hydrotherapy, where patients were forced into ice baths or really hot baths to "help" with their mental illness. The site also has a cemetery that holds 1,652 unmarked graves of patients. One of the most notable patients was serial killer Amy Archer-Gilligan, who worked at a nursing home and killed 48 patients by poisoning them. She was sent to Valley hospital in 1924 when she was declared insane, and remained until her death. The hospital is still used, though 24 buildings on the land are abandoned and will soon be demolished.
Because this is on site of a still active hospital and because there aren't many photos online of the inside, I am guessing they are pretty hard to get into, and you could easily be caught.
Fairfield Hospital was created due to overcrowding at other hospitals. The hospital had 23 buildings that were connected by tunnels on 100 acres. The grounds included a chapel, theater, gym, bowling, library, power plant, lab, morgue, dairy farm, bakery, patient housing, staff dormitories, doctor housing, medical hospital, and cafeterias. The hospital was opened in 1933 and had 500 patients, and 3 doctors. By the 1960's the hospital had 4,000 patients, 20 doctors and 50 nurses. The treatments included hydrotherapy, insulin shock therapy, patient seclusion, Electroconvulsive therapy and lobotomies. Many say Fairfield is haunted due to questionable deaths and patient abuse. The first questionable death was when one patient was beaten to death by the staff at Fairfield. Some patients also starved to death, because no staff had come to assist them with eating. It was closed in 1995.
All buildings have alarms that go off if you get too close.
This church, is a very unusual church, and looks more like a cement tent and some locals like to even call it St.Cement. It was called the Sacred Heart church and was a Roman Catholic. The building opened in 1971, many construction workers and others warned that in would fall apart but the church did not listen and still continued the construction. The building is seven stories and the building used to be able to hold 450 people. In 1980 cement blocks were found on the ground that had been falling from the walls and ceilings. The concrete started crumbling and was closed in 1997 when it was declared unsafe and they didn't have enough money for renovations. It was a very unpopular opinion because the residents of the town wouldn't be able to go to church until they found somewhere to relocate too.
This building has now been demolished.
★★★★★ (Before being demolished)
The building was built by Cass Gilbert, the architect of the U.S Supreme Court and the Woolworth building.
It was originally made for children with tuberculosis, and opened in the 1930's, but then in 1958 it was changed to a elderly home for a few years. The Seaside has had a few names, like Seaside Sanatorium, Seaside Geriatric Hospital and Seaside Regional Center for The Mentally Disabled. Then it was used for people with developmental disabilities. In the 1970's, it was uncovered that some patients were being violently abused by staff and in the 1990's more patients were passing away then usual. Seaside was then closed in 1996 and the government made the land into a state park. The building has been vacant for two decades.
Access: It's inside a park now with lots of people and security guards. Their are fences and some buildings are boarded up, but I think if you wanted and went on the right day when no one was there, there are holes in the fences and some windows and doors are broken that you could access.
The owner, Greco, claims he got a sign from god, and quit his job as a local attorney, and created Holy Land USA as a homage to the Holy Land in Israel. By the time he finished creating it, he had 200 figures and structures. By the 1960's, 50,000 people a year visited the park. They were best known for their recreated hollywood sign, that said "holy land" instead and it's 56 foot steel cross that could be seen from miles away. In 1984, Holy Land was closed for renovations, but the owner passed away in 1986 and they were never finished. Responsibility was given to a group of nuns, they tried to keep it as clean as they could, but they never re-opened it, and it started to get vandalized. In 2010, a 16 year old girl was raped and murdered on the site. After that the nuns were done with Holy Land, and decided to sell it, a few years later it was purchased and they put "No Trespassing" signs and more security everywhere.
Holy Land is extremely easy to access.