Norwich was first opened in 1904 with one building, and 95 patients and quickly grew to over 16 buildings and 2,000 patients. The campus was fully sustainable and included laboratories, power plant, bakery, farm, theater, bowling alley, green house, barber shop, and housing for doctors and other staff. The hospital also had huge underground tunnels connecting all the buildings. The patients wards held the elderly, tuberculosis patients, mentally ill, and criminally insane. During the 1950's Norwich held over 3,000 patients and built a medical research facility, and large residence halls, which meant the older buildings were now used for storage or left abandoned. By the 1970's only seven new buildings were in use because of declining psychiatric patients as well as the old buildings were falling apart and couldn't be used. By 1996 Norwich officially closed and has been abandoned since then and most buildings have been demolished.
Photos and History: