Before being a hospital, Springfield was a estate and farm for a wealthy man William Patterson. In year 1894 the estate was sold to the state of Maryland and a year later they started to turn it into a hospital. When renovating the buildings, they left out barred windows and locked doors, and had a open-door policy. They continued to use the farm and it supplied the staff and patients with most of their food. The buildings on site included powerhouse, fire house, employee housing, a colony for people with epilepsy, admin and medical building and the women and mens buildings. Springfield had a drama club, baseball team, tennis courts and lots of music to entertain patients and staff. They also used activities like exercise, games, songs, embroidery and walks as a part of therapy. There was a lot of overcrowding at the hospital in the 1940's, when they had 3,000 patients. Articles were written about the horrible conditions at Springfield and soon they started to discharge patients in community settings and building new buildings for better treatment. In 1980's Springfield started using only a few of the newer buildings, leaving the other structures abandoned. Springfield still operates in the newer buildings on the grounds.
Photos and Information from:
There is a lot of security and the buildings are secured, because it's still on the site of an active hospital.