The Grafton State Hospital was opened in 1901 in Worcester. By 1945 the hospital had 1,730 patients and 250 staff. By this time the buildings were now spread over 3 towns. Grafton was a colony system hospital which is "The colony idea applies to the harmless, quiet, able-bodied chronic patients. Its aims are provision of a home with natural interests, industrial re-education of the demented, and their training in useful occupations for self-improvement and support." They had four colonies, Pines, Elms, Oaks and Willows. Each colony had different kind of patients, like pines was for "excited females", Elms was for "excited males", Oaks was for trustworthy and more stable male patients, Willows for more trustworthy and stable female patients. Each colony had a differently constructed buildings depending on the kinds of patients. Most patients at Grafton lived there for their entire lives when abandoned by families because they didn't know what to do with them. Patients worked well on farms and shops, keeping the hospital running, they heavily relied on patients labor. After being open for 72 years, Grafton closed in 1973 and now the buildings are occupied by colleges and other agencies. Some buildings have also been demolished.
Most buildings have been repurposed and buildings that still lie abandoned are very hard to get into, especially because police roam the grounds.