The Northampton Lunatic Hospital opened in 1856 for 250 patients. The first original building was the kirkbride design, with three floors and two wings, one for males and one for females. Northampton was first built to help with overcrowding at psychiatric hospitals in Worcester, Taunton and Boston. The hospital originally had very progressive treatment, with jobs, labor, farming, and fresh air. The hospital was fully sustainable from it's animals and produce during the first years.
The hospital then became overcrowded, with less patients leaving, their was no space, not enough staff, and too little funding. By 1885 there were 476 patients in a building that was originally for 250. Buildings were added like infirmary wards, and a complex for 1,000 patients. The hospital just became a home for the mentally ill, and no longer a place to treat them. In 1955 Northampton reached a peak of 2,657 patients, and then 6 years later, many patients were released because of new medications. By 1978 all of the patients were released to their families, and group homes.The hospital was fully closed by 1993, after housing 64,000 patients over 135 years. 594 confirmed deaths happened at Northampton, though some speculate it could be as many as 1,200. After closing the hospital was used as a film set in "The Cider House Rules" and "In Dreams". An artist named Anna Schuleit created a memorial at the abandoned hospital in 2000. The buildings were demolished in 2007 and replaced with a mass development called "village hill northampton".
For more history and information visit:
All buildings are demolished