Camp Sussex was open for 85 years and closed in 2005 and was run a New York City non-profit organization, the property was then passed to another owner after filing for bankruptcy. The camp opened in in 1924 by a "Jewish welfare organization", and was meant to serve poor and orphan children from NYC were able to spends summer there for free. The camp accommodated 1,200 campers every year.On 215 acres, the camp had 36 bunkhouses 18 for boys and 18 for girls. The camp also had baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, recreation building, arts building, a theater, an infirmary and a boat house. 12 campers and 3 counselors would live in one cabin, and they eat all their meals in the large dining hall with two kitchens. In 2004 Derek Jeters foundation signed a three year agreement to create a special sport summer program, though one week into the camp program the foundation pulled out of the agreement. A individual has bought the camp for $850,000 and is planning to restore and then reopen the children's camp.
The camp is now being refurbished and is no longer abandoned.