Bradford Lee Gilbert built Dundas in the early 1800's as a summer lodge. It was originally named "Craig E Clair" after his wife's hometown in Scotland. Gilbert passed away in 1911 and was sold and ended up in the hands of Ralph Wurts Dundas in 1915. He started construction but passed away in 1921 and was never able to see the final product of the castle. Once he died, his wife Josephine was committed to an asylum and their daughter Muriel inherited the house and their fortune. The fortune was then stolen by the caretakers of the castle, and she went on to get married and move to England. It was then used as a children's camp, masonic retreat, and now sits abandoned.
There is a caretaker, but I think you still might be able to get in.
Hero was established in 1942, and was named after Major General Andrew Hero. In World War II, Montauk was a probable invasion point by submarines. They started acquiring more land in the area, as well as started building docks, hangers, barracks, and a torpedo testing facility. Camp Hero grew to 278 acres, it was like its own little town with recreational facilities, barracks, power stations, training facility, target range and control center. Camp Hero was built to look like a New England fishing town, the bunkers had windows painted on them, and the gym was built to look like a church. When World War II ended in 1949, the base was shut down and used for training the Army Reserve. The Naval facilities were left abandoned and guns were dismantled. The Cold War then began and a radar tower was immediately built. In 1953 the camp was changed to the Montauk Air Force Station. Camp Hero was then closed down because the soviet bombers could fly above where the artillery could reach. It was donated to the state of New York but was unused because it was so close to the high security air force station. The Montauk Air Force Station developed or tested all of the new state of the art technology, like magnetic memory, light pens, keyboards and more. The Air Force Station was closed in 1981. The Montauk Project started in the 1980's. It is consider a conspiracy theory because it is not confirmed by the government, but many other confirmed experiments have happened during this time. The Montauk project partially inspired the popular television show "Stranger Things". Many ideas came from the "The Montauk Project: Experiments in Time" from someone who formerly worked at Hero and tells what he saw during his time there.
Police regularly patrol, wouldn't recommend trying to get into the buildings.
In 1901, a man named Charles Slutsky bought some farm land and started farming. Soon after, Charles started taking in boarders, and building cottages to house boarders. In 1906 Charles oldest son suggested that they should split up the land, and they each decided to build hotels on their parts of the land. The Nevele Farm House opened and was continued to be built through the 20's and 30's. His son decided to build the Nevele Resort and Country Club. In the 1940's the golf course was constructed, as well as a pool and another wing in 1954. Then 2 years later two other wings were constructed for guests which were linked to the main hotel with underground tunnels. In 1964, the iconic Nevele resort building was constructed, a circular 10 story tower, it also included construction of two lounges for the hotel. In 1966 President Johnson visited the area, and decided to stay at the Nevele Hotel because it was the only place big enough for all of his security. They called all their customers asking if they could delay their trip for the president. One customer (who was part of the DNC) was so upset that he called the white house and complained. A Johnson rep called the hotel and said that he would not stay there if the DNC man could not be accommodated. In 1970, a ski lodge was opened, with a ski rink, roller rink, snack bar, skate and ski shop, and a lobby with fire places. In 1984 the golf course was redesigned to 18 holes. At the height of the Nevele Resort, the resort has 430 rooms and 800 employees. In the 1960's the borscht belt resorts started to decline when air travel became cheaper and more popular. The Nevele tried to appeal to more clients, so they stopped serving kosher meals. They then sold the hotel in 1997 to Fred Kassner but then died a year later, and was re-purchased for 15.8 million. The hotel only had 40% occupancy so they started renovations to appeal to corporate guests while also keeping their Jewish clients. They refurbished all 600+ rooms as well as other spaces in the hotel. They then opened the Honors haven resort and spa (which is still open) and let Nevele operate separately. The resort was then put up for sale in 2008 for 26.5 million, the hotel was in horrible condition, and struggled with leaks, mold, and hot water. They closed without notice in 2009.
Photos and History:
You need to find a place to park that isn't right in front of the resort, or the police will be called on you. Buildings are super boarded up or anything though.
This property was first built by a man named David Haight in 1834 as a private residence. When he died in 1876 he was buried on the property in the family mausoleum. In 1922 the property was foreclosed and in 1925 it was purchased by the Salesian brothers for an all boys Catholic school. The mansion was the admin and dining building, and the main school building was built in 1931. One night in 1964, a nine year old boy fell off the roof of the school building and passed away. The case was reinvestigated in 2003, but a fire in 1970 that mysteriously burned student records and uncooperative staff led to nothing being solved. The school eventually closed in 1985, and then was reopened as a youth center, but quickly closed in 1991. The mansion is demolished but the main school building still stands.
Photos and History from:
Completely fenced off now.
Kings Park was created in 1885 and was closed 111 years after. Kings park was originally in brooklyn but with overcrowding, the superintendent Dr. Shaw decided to purchase over 800 acres of land for a new psychiatric hospital with the farm colony layout. Dr.Shaw believed that this new bigger hospital their would be a better chance at the patients recovering from their mental illness. It first started with three "cottages" for 23 females and 32 males but then grew to 200 patients. Patients got jobs on the farms like, clearing the land for the farms and to build more cottages. Soon the hospital would have 150 buildings serving patients up to 10,000 patients at the height of the hospital. The town completely depended and revolved around the psychiatric center because it offered so many jobs. When psychiatric drugs started to be developed patients were able to start leaving the hospital, and soon the state of NY signed a bill to close all psychiatric hospitals and start doing more community care programs. Now, less than 30 of the buildings remain, this spot has become very popular for teenagers and urban explorers and has basically become destroyed.
When Kings Park and Central Islip became overcrowded the state decided to open a third farm colony hospital. Pilgrim opened in 1931, named after New York State mental health commissioner. Pilgrim had it's own police and fire department, courts, post office, train station, powerplant, swine farm, church, theater, nurses homes, bakery and was designed to hold 12,500 patients. They continued to expand and constructed Edgewood State Hospital on the land. During world war ll the "war department" took over Edgewood hospital, as well as a few Pilgrim buildings for mentally disturbed veterans. After world war ll Pilgrim was the worlds largest hospital with almost 14,000 patients and 4,000 employees. Treatments at Pilgrim included, insulin shock therapy, electric shock therapy and lobotomies. 1,000-2,000 lobotomies were preformed on patients at Pilgrim. When medication started to come out and more severe mentally ill were being transferred to home settings, Islip and Kings closed down and transferred their patients to Pilgrim. Pilgrim closed not long after, leaving a huge campus abandoned. 50 buildings have been demolished in 2003, but some buildings still remain.
Some buildings are still active, so be careful.
For more history and old photos look here:
From the 1880's to 1943 the island was used to quarantine people with contagious diseases, like typhoid. There was one patient named Mary who had asymptomatic typhoid, and spread it to so many people which caused them to pass away, she was left at north brother until she passed away. In 1904 a steamship exploded 321, people survived, and 1,021 to wash up on the shore on North Brother. In 1950's they tried to run a drug rehab for teens but then was left abandoned in 1963.
It's an island so its ridiculously hard to get onto unless you have a boat or kayak.
The hospital was named after the Creeds a family that previously owned and farmed on the land. In the early 1870's, the land was purchased by New York State to be used as a firing range for the national guard. Creedmoor opened as a farm colony with 32 patients, who worked the farm to pay for room and board. The hospital believed that the fresh air, psychical labor and rural living would help cure mental illness, Creedmoor was self sustaining with the help of patients. In 1918 Creedmoor had grown to 150 patients, who were living in abandoned national guard barracks. In 1959 patient numbers exploded to 7,000 patients. With so many patients living in such close quarters, Creedmor came under fire in 1940's for unsanitary living conditions. By 1974 Creedmoor was a complete disaster, 3 rapes, 22 assaults, 52 fires, 130 burglaries, 6 suicides, a riot, a shooting, an attempted murder all in 20 months. In 1984, a patient died after being restrained in a straight jacket and an other one passed away from being beaten to death by a staff member. Staff members reported horrible conditions, outnumbered by violent patients, and having to sneak weapons in for self defense. The hospital is still open, thought some buildings are abandoned, it only has 470 patients.
I am not sure! Might be heavy security because this is still an active hospital.
Dr.Willard wanted to create a hospital that would help the mentally ill instead of house them in shelters. Abraham Lincoln approved this proposal right before his death and they began construction. Willard opened in 1869, admitting very mentally ill patients as well as patients that had been abused at the shelters. The grounds had lot's of buildings a female side, a male side and then admin buildings in the middle. Patients were able to roam the grounds freely, as well as tend to crops, going bowling, to the movie theater, gymnasium, and clubs. Additional treatment was electro-shock therapy and ice baths. The hospital closed in 1995 in a effort to transfer the mentally ill to homes. Many died at Willard and are now resting in unmarked graves. After Willard was closed it became famous for it's suitcases after an artist stumbled upon suitcases left abandoned with all the patients belongings. Photos here: https://willardsuitcases.photoshelter.com/gallery-list
Learn more from: https://inmatesofwillard.com/
Photos and Videos from:
Owned by a drug treatment company. They used to have walking tours but have stopped due to security.
The J.N Adam Memorial Hospital was opened in 1912 by the past buffalo mayor, named James Noble Adam. The hospital primarily cared for tuberculosis patients, with sun as the primary "cure" for tuberculosis. In 1960 when tuberculosis was cured, the hospital was converted to a psychiatric hospital. In 1993 the hospital closed permanently. Now it lays abandoned because no one is willing to pay the high demo costs or high refurbishing costs.
It looks pretty easy to access, but sometimes the state troopers hang around and try to catch people so make sure to be careful.