The Browns Hotel was one of many hotels left abandoned after the decline of tourism on the Borscht Belt. It all started with the Appel Family who opened the "Black Apple Inn" in the 1920's. Browns, a hotel developer purchased the hotel in 1944, and reopened it as a 473 room resort. It catered mainly to Jewish New Yorkers, and included fine dining and entertainment. It was among one of the biggest catskills hotels, along with Grossingers and The Cocord. In 1978, Brown passed away and the hotel struggled to stay afloat with the rise of airplane popularity which resulted in a decline of tourists. In 1988 the hotel filed for bankruptcy, and was closed. Browns was sold off the same year for 5.8 million. They started renovation in 1997, to create condominiums with the same swimming pools, tennis courts, mini golf, religious buildings and bar from the hotel. They were able to sell 75% of the units. Soon after they were notified that there were many fire safety violations, but the owner promised to fix it. In 2012 a fire arose all over the condos and drew over 300 firefighters. Most of the hotel was left burned down.
Most of it has been burned down, but some buildings are still accessible.