The Industrial National Bank Building, also known as the "Superman Building" is the tallest building in the state of Rhode Island and was constructed in 1925 by the Industrial Trust Company. The building first opened in 1928, built in the Art Deco style which was popular at the time. The building has some very interesting design details, including a ballroom, a private gondola/dining car and a large basement vault. In 1998, the building was taken over by Bank of America. In 2012 Bank of America decided to move out of the building, and the owners of the building tried to get loans to rehabilitate the building but failed. Soon after, the owners of the building tried to sue Bank of America claiming that the building was falling apart from lack of upkeep. Ever since then the building has remained empty.
http://providenceonline.com/stories/tony-pacitti-saving-superman-superman-building,20991 // Mike Braca
Because the superman building is in the middle of a city I am guessing it's very hard to get into.
Rocky Point Amusement Park opened in the late 1840's as an amusement park with a scenic view of the shoreline on Rhode Island. They also had a restaurant with scenic views. It grew larger and larger with many rides and attractions. Some rides called, Russian Toboggan, Looff, Tumble-Bug, The Wildcat, Cyclone, Saltwater Flume and Corkscrew. When the Boston Beaneaters and the Philadelphia Phillies couldn't play at their usual park, they would go and play games at the field at Rocky Point. The company that owned Rocky point was loosing money from make large loans to unrelated companies and had large debts. The park became bankrupt in 1994, and closed, but then reopened for a little while in 1996 and then officially closed and sold all of the rides. When the land was sold, it was sold to a developer who wants to make it into a gated community. There is a documentary about the park called, You Must Be This Tall: The Story of Rocky Point Park which was shown at a nearby theater.
The rocky point is now demolished.
The Maria Mater Spei was built in 1961 and was consecrated by Bishop McVinney in 1962. The Diocese of Providence used to own the building, as well as 100 acres around it, and was supposed to be a home for Sisters Of Our Lady of Providence which is now a school and parish today. It was then rented out as dorms for Roger Willams University and Salve Regina University which were nearby. There were also buildings all surrounding the convent though they were knocked down and now replaced with condos. Also in the 1960's the building was a school run by nuns who were living there. The building is now gutted and waiting to be torn down and being replaced with condos. The building has black streaks on the side, leading some to speculate there was a fire in the building. The basement is also flooded, and there are rumors of dead nuns in the basement as well as hauntings in the building.
If the building hasn't been turned into condos, all the windows and doors are open and its very easily accessed.
The Roger Williams Mausoleum was opened in 1927 by Thomas Cullinan. Cullinan's daughter operated the mausoleum after his death with money he had left behind to keep the mausolem in good condition. 13 years later she passed away Once they passed away, they left no money or anyone to take care of the mausoleum and it became abandoned. After the mausoleum became abandoned, there are two stories about bodies being left behind:
One was that someone found some old files and realized that their were five bodies still remaining in the mausoluem and contacted people to remove the decaying bodies.
The other was about urban explorers who had found 2 bodies while exploring and called the police to get them removed.
I think after finding the bodies, the mausoleum is very blocked off, but it's definitely worth a try.
The Bells was originally called "The Reefs" and was built in 1876. A lawyer Theodor Davis first owned the house and filled it with artifacts and treasures from his travels around the world. After Davis died, the estate was sold to the Budong family, until it was seized during World War 2. After the war, the government gave the estate back, but they just left it to decay. The actual house burned down in a fire and torn down, but the remains of the stables and carriage house still remain in a public park.
The building has fences and is patrolled daily and is on a park, so if someone sees they might call the police.
Belton Court was built in 1905. It has many names like, Ferrin Hall, Gibson Memorial Building, Barrington College, Peck Mansion and the most recent was Zion Bible College until it became abandoned in 2008. It was built for a Rhode Island politician and throughout the years has been added too and renovated. It was sold for 13 million when the Zion Bible college moved. The new owner is planning to develop it as elderly housing.
It is very easy to access the grounds but every single window and door is sealed shut.
The Ladd school, was Rhode Islands first institution, for people with mental disabilities. In the 86 years it was open, over 5,000 people lived and died here. In the first years of the Ladd school, all classes and dorms were in farm buildings and they had very few students. In 1911, they constructed the first real school building and they changed the name from the Ladd school to the Exeter school. 10 years later, they were continuously growing. They had built a dormitory, a nurses home, a school building and even a powerplant to power all of the schools buildings. They also now had 300 people attending the school. Through 1920-1930 the school now had become a reformatory, more then a school. The Exeter school became a dumping ground for all the "rejects of society" and all the "criminally insane". The state was continuously giving them more and more people and they had grown to 600 people. The Exeter school continues to expand from the 1930's and 1940's during the great depression. They had more students then ever (900 students now lived at the school), but they had very limited funding, and only had one doctor, one social worker,one nurse and most of the time no teachers. Even with the lack of funding and staff they continued to grow and house over 1,300 patients. Dr.Ladd was forced to kick out over 300 patients, but after kicking out 300 patients, their were still lots of patients remaining and no funding. In 1955, a 9 year old boy was discovered who had been suffocated to death in the shower room. There had been a lot of "accidental deaths" leading up to this one. This had been the last straw for Dr.Ladd, he resigned and was replaced by Dr.John Smith. Finally by the 1970's, they got enough funding and they planned to build a new very modern building, that would serve as a hospital for the patients. With this new funding they were also able to restart some of the programs they had before, and were able to have enough staff for everyone. Then, in a investigation, people learned that there were unsanitary and life threatening conditions at the dental clinic. After people learned this, there was public outrage, and it fueled a investigation that uncovered the medical practices used at the were incorrect, and some practices were resulting in deaths. A class-action law suit was filed, and the state immediately fired Dr. Smith. In 1994, the Ladd School closed, when people with mental disabilities started to get moved to community settings. It's now said to be haunted, and a movie called "Exeter" came out in 2015 about the haunted school and some scenes were filmed in the school.